Monday, April 19, 2010

Finally Finished! Three Projects!

I am finally finished with the three projects that I started this week.  And on to the next ones  . . . 

1) My three mini topiary trees are finally finished! I love this moss stuff! It is really fabulous! I think it is called "reindeer moss"?  I had exactly enough from one bag to make all the topiary trees and just enough to add a little into the pot.  I like how they turned out too! They look fabulous on my windowsill; natural and sleek looking with out too much clutter.

I started with three regular clay pots that I spray painted with two different colors.
Two styrofoam balls, reindeer moss, and a block of floral foam.  I covered two of the balls with moss and I cut part of the floral foam for a square topiary, put the rest in the pots.  Hot glue was used to adhere the moss to the styrofoam.  It is a little time consuming but watch your favorite TV show while your are making these.  This project costs about $12 to make! I've seen these topiary trees in the store for alot more.  It was worth it!
Should I add a natural looking bow out of jute or raffia? Or should words be added to the pots? Are they looking a little bare? Or is that the whole point, nice and sleek?  I am going to think on it for a few days.

2) Mrs. Rooster is doing a redo on her office and needed a little "Haley" for inspiration! Of course, I totally wanted to make her something to get her inspired on her new color scheme.  I've made some of these before but I don't have any pictures of them.
I painted a canvas dollar store picture; only the edges because the middle will be covered with paper.
Layered paper and some stickers that match are glued to the canvas.  Before adding any ribbon or anything textured, a coat of clear acrylic was added.
Stickers, embellishments, trims, ribbons and rhinestones where all added within the same color scheme to create a custom collage for Mrs. Rooster.  Everyone loves their name and loves to have things that represent their name.  I hope she likes it!  For a more personal touch, pictures of friends and family could be added.

3) I need a new paper box for my 8.5" x 11" plain card stock.  I couldn't seem to find just the "right" container.  The current paper box that was being use was only "okay"  It wasn't fabulous like the rest of the stuff in my craft room.  
I am walking through Big Lots the other day and I spot this paper holder for only $5!! (Actually, I think it was supposed to be used for files and home office storage.) I really hated painting it because I LOOOVVEEE this color of robins egg blue/Martha Stewart blue.  But black spray paint had to be applied. (Okay, I didn't realize this picture was so blurry until I uploaded it.  Sorry friends!)
I didn't want to put the word "paper" on the box cause that would be boring.  Then I realized that I do not have anything in the scrap room with my name on it.  So my name it is, "Haley"  $2 chipboard letters from Big Lots, a flower embelishment and a super diva feather boa thing where added to jazz this box up!  I think it turned out pretty good.  A $5 paper holder turned fabulous!
It holds all of my cardstock perfectly!  

DIY tip: I added those little felt circles to the bottom of this box since I like to slide it around on the table top instead of picking it up. 

 On to projects for the rest of the week! Congrats to Mr & Mrs H who just got married this weekend!!  A beautiful spring wedding at the gardens of Avalon.












7 comments:

The Autocrat: Haley said...

If you like the topiary tress and are in love with the moss, check out this letter covered in moss, it is pretty snazzy. http://lionstigersandboysohmy.blogspot.com/2010/03/come-on-in-spring-fling-with-moss.html

amanda said...

Love your paper box. I think mine needs a redo, thanks for the ideas. I agree they need a little more punch. To keep is simple and clean you could do a simple ribbon towards the tip of the stem just under the moss in a bright summer color with the raffa. I think it would look super snazzy!

Carol said...

Lucky Rooster! I'm so jealous. Paper box is too cute with your name on it. I'm gonna have to get on the list for my own something pretty. Agree with Amanda on the topiary... simple ribbon right under the moss.

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Okay I will add the ribbon and repost . . . .

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

You've been busy! Great topiaries! I love the square one! Would love to have you stop by the Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Thanks Stephanie! I did post an item on your Sunday Showcase Party!

Stacey said...

That is all so cute. I love it. Each thing is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Related Posts with Thumbnails