Friday, May 21, 2010

Wedding Necklaces: Does Jewlery Making Scare You?!

I was asked to make some necklaces for one of my coworkers daughter's wedding.  Of course, as always, I said Yes!  I tried my hand at making jewelry before, which I enjoyed it but it is definitely not my thing.  I am not that creative with beads; I will leave that up to Mrs. Dreibelbis because she can make some awesome-ly snazzy  necklaces!! Thank goodness we are able to trade beading for sewing, since she isn't much of a sewer.  My co worker was inspired by the necklace Mrs. D made for me, for her wedding.  Mine aren't as snazzy as the inspiration necklace but she needs five of them and I know they are on a budget so I didn't add as many shiny beads as I would've like.  However, I think they turned out really good.  The dresses are black and white with the girls carrying red roses.  So the theme is semi classic.

TUTORIAL:
Does making  jewelry scare you?! Well I was definitely intimated when I walked down the beading aisles at HL and Michaels.  There is soooooo much stuff! Very overwhelming!!  You only need SIX supplies !(for a basic necklace then you can branch out), ONE tool and less than TEN steps!  Nylon string, crimp beads, crimping tool, clasp of your choice and of course, the beads of your choice.
1) String your beads
2) Add your crimp bead
3) Add one side of your clasp to one end of the nylon string
4) Add the clasp and bring the nylon string back through the crimp bead
5) Follow directions on your crimping tool package for easy picture directions.  The crimp bead is what keeps the beads tight on the string without having a big 'ol knot, making it look more professional.  The bead actually flattens when you "crimp" it with the tool.
6) Add clasp and crimp bead to the other end of the nylon string, BAM! You are done!!!!

If you are feeling really snazzy with beads you can make a multi stranded necklace by adding multiple stranded beads to the same clasp. Each strand has its own crimp bead and all of the strands of beads are attached to the same clasp.  I like to add a few more beads to each additional strand thus having a little more variation within the strands.

 I didn't know where else to hang the beads .. .. ..  except on my kitchen knobs.

9 comments:

Carol said...

The jewelry making is frightening to me... I am thinking that you need to start teaching crafting classes on the weekends, for those of us who are hands-on... I know I would pay to come!

Megan Gunyan said...

You make it sound so easy! The necklace is so elegant. Wonderful job!

Decorchick! said...

Those are so pretty!! Thanks for stopping by my site. :)

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Just Beautiful...and you say jewelry making isn't your thing!! LOL! You did a fantastic job!!
You never cease to AMAZE ME!! Have a great week!! Barb @
santagiftshoppe.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

adorable! come and link up at making monday marvelous :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Wow this looks fabulous! I love the black beads with the pearls - gorgeous! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Amber D said...

Bummer I needed you last summer...Oh well they are still great!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Your jewelry is lovely! Thanks for sharing and helping to make this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Hope you'll join next week! Rory

creativejewishmom.com said...

Nice job and so nice to have a new "face" on Craft Schooling Sunday! hope to see you again soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails