Sunday, August 29, 2010

Easy Skirts

A while back my Mom came up and we sewed up some skirts. Perfecting "just the right skirt" is crucial because I really want a pair of knee high boots. My Mom is fabulous, because she is going to buy me some!! Yay!! 

We used New Look pattern, # 6147.  The only modification is the super wide elastic.  Elastic is 3" thick.  I like the wide elastic because it holds in the tummy a little, instead of cutting into your tummy. 

I definitely have some junk in my trunk, so it takes 1 yard of  60" fabric and 1 3/4 yards of 45" fabric.  Most of the silky prints are 60" & costing around $16 or less for a yard, but if you catch sales and use coupons; then you can get a skirt for under $10!  Which is totally a DEAL! It doesn't get better than that!

Follow the yardage usage from the pattern for your first item, then if you want to cut back on what it recommends do so on the second item.
 
Here are two skirts completed.  King did take a pic of me in one, but I looked stupid, cause I was "posing."  So on the hanger is as good as it gets.  The blue one is kinda of a blah color, but that was the tester fabric since it was cheap.

Here are the rest of the fabrics that were in the bottom of my fabric container; so it's like free skirts!!  Most of them are plain jane colors but my style is jazzing up my outfits with colored shoes, handbags, and lots of accessories.  We will be having another sewing marathon soon.  Fabrics call my name . . .  thus, I have added to the collection of "to be sewn" since this picture has been taken.




8 comments:

Carol said...

I cannot wait to see the houndstooth in person... nothing better!

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

Cecily said...

The houndstooth is great and it looks like you've got some great potential with those other fabrics!

Cassie said...

Houndstooth!!!
I love me some houndstooth!!!
My local quilt shop has a free box with fabric in it.
I also like to peruse the thrift store bins...sometimes you can find some awesome fabric there!!!!!
=)

Vanessa said...

I love simple pencil skirts, so versatile and so easy to make. I'll have to try my hand at sewing some!

stephaniegiese said...

Visiting from craft-o-maniac. I love the houndstooth!

Jumping Jack said...

Those are super cute! I love the blue zebra from your fabric drawer!

Ready Set Create said...

Love the skirt! Do you think your mom would get me some boots too?! :) I found you on Craft-o-manic. . . I love the look of your blog!
♥ Aleesha

Life in Rehab said...

Junk in your trunk? Girl, I'm hauling whatever fits on a flatbed!

Those zebra prints are calling me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails